Saturday, December 29, 2007

A Season Of...

Several days and Christmas has passed since I wrote last. Christmas was a magical time for me and my family and I thank the Lord for it. We managed to keep things fairly simple and we were blessed because of it. I use the word "magical" because I can't think of a better word. I know that some of my fundamentalist brethren will begin to shake uncontrollably when they see that I used that word, but I assure them that we still don't read or watch Harry Potter in my home so all is well.
For Jasilyn it was a season of singing. She sang all around the house with Misty and she sang in the Christmas program for her school and for the Christmas program for church and finally she sang with her school choir during the 11:00 service last Sunday morning. I secretly suspect that she sees herself as Hannah Montana. I noticed that one of Misty's dinner theater wigs keeps getting mysteriously moved around...
For Noah it was a season of realizing he is strong. He walks around the house posing like he is on the cover of Muscle and Fitness magazine. Minus the veiny and ripply bikini clad she-hulk of course. One of Noah's "feats of strength" involves him rolling me off of the bed. It was funny the first eight or nine times but now its starting to wear on me. I lie in bed reading with one eye on the pages and one eye on surveillance duty. Noah will be four in March.
For Jacob it was a season of destruction. If it exists, Jacob will touch it. If it can be pulled to the floor, Jacob will relocate it. His favorite food is bananas. Misty has him on such a good schedule that at lunch time he climbs up in his chair and straps himself in.
For Misty and I the last few months have been a season of slowing down and appreciating what we have. Taking the time to laugh together and tell stories and listen to music and just enjoy where we are in life. If you're not careful you can spend your whole life trying to get to the point where you can just have some peace and sit back and enjoy life, and then at some point you realize that you wasted a lot of time striving for what was available all along.
2007 was a tough year in many ways but it has been a year in which we learned to appreciate the small stuff and enjoy the journey.

No comments: