Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

My brother Jonathan called me last night to let me in on his choice for "holiday book of the year". His choice? "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" by Barbara Robinson.

Jonathan said it caused him to laugh out loud. This endorsement carries much weight for me, so I plan to stop by Givens tonight and purchase a copy.

Here are a few lines from the first page:
The Herdmans were absolutely the worst kids in the history of the world. They lied and stole and smoked cigars (even the girls) and talked dirty and hit little kids and cussed their teachers and took the name of the Lord in vain and set fire to Fred Shoemaker's old broken-down toolhouse.
The toolhouse burned right down to the ground, and I think that surprised the Herdmans. They set fire to things all the time, but that was the first time they managed to burn down a whole building.

I grew up watching the movie version of the book and I know that it is a great story of love, grace and redemtion. Those are three character traits worth reminding ourselves of at this time of the year...

No comments: