Friday, December 21, 2007

My Week In Review

I've been out on vacation for a week so I thought I should drop back and give a rundown of the last several days:

Saturday: Great day! Jasilyn, Noah and I went to Givens Books on Lakeside Drive and we spent the afternoon playing with toys and reading books. Per Jonathan's advice we purchased "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" and we ended our visit by sitting in The Drowsy Poet and drinking root beer. Jasilyn's favorite part of the day was playing with the princess costumes and Noah's favorite part was playing with the trains. My favorite part was watching my children sit cross legged on the floor and look through books. That night we had our first performance of Tree of Life's Christmas Program. I played Joseph and Jesus. My Jesus wig was awful. I looked more like Chong from Cheech and Chong than Jesus. Misty was one of the singers. We finished up at about 9:00 and everyone headed home to get some sleep before returning at 7:00am the next morning. I fell asleep thinking about root beer and books and bad wigs.

Sunday: At 5:30am we got Team Queen up and running. We arrived at the church by 7:00 and I ran back out to Starbucks to get some coffee. We had three performances and they went very well. The Jesus wig got worse and worse. I was able to sit in the audience during two of the performances and watch Misty and Jasilyn sing. Both of my girls were breathtakingly beautiful. I felt like I was watching one of the old "Bob Hope Christmas Specials". At the end of each performance I came out dressed like Jesus at the Resurrection and stood with my arms out in a welcoming gesture to the crowd. At first it was awkward. By the final performance I was overwhelmed with emotion at how unworthy I am to play that role. I got an opportunity to be Christlike as I walked off the stage and a lady whispered "you need a hairbrush". Jason would have whispered, "as do you madame. as do you..." But instead I just smiled and nodded my bad wig in her general direction. All in all it was a good day. We ended the day reading "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" and the kids loved it.

Monday: A day of leisure. I watched a lot of television and listened to some sermons on Misty's ipod. That night we went to Tree of Life's leadership dinner. The food was great. Seven different types of corn pudding. We sat with Joe and his family. Joe is among five people who make me laugh out loud. Corn pudding and laughter don't mix too well.

Tuesday: A hectic day. We ran around catching up on errands.

Wednesday: We watched "The Nativity Story" at church that night. This movie is very good and it does a great job of depicting the humanity of Mary and Joseph. Joseph is portrayed as a strong and good man.

Thursday: We went to Build-a-Bear Workshop in Charlottesville. Jasilyn built a pink leopard. Noah chose a brown monkey. Jacob got his first teddy bear. It was another great day in a series of great days. I am blessed with great children and an awesome wife.

No comments: