Monday, November 26, 2007

Thanksgiving

I had a great Thanksgiving and I hope that everyone else did as well. We traveled to my parents' home in Dillwyn and enjoyed a great meal together. There were only nine of us there, but we had a great time and enjoyed good fellowship as a family.

We ended the day back at my house, setting up the tree and watching The Santa Clause with Tim Allen. We've seen it six billion times but it is a great movie to watch while decorating the tree. As I watched my children I realized just how different they are. Jasilyn likes to turn every situation into the pivotal scene of a musical. She is the star of aformentioned musical of course. She hands out ornaments and floats around singing about each one. Noah is more low key. He picks an ornament out. Hangs it. Picks another ornament out. Hangs it. Jacob is at the age where he pulls the ornaments off faster than we can put them on, which fits well with Noah's hanging rhythm. They basically cancel out the work of the other.

Misty and I decorate the tree with different styles as well. I try to pick out my favorite ornaments and put them in places of honor. Example: Superman goes right in the center and the Norman Rockwell Santa goes right below him. Misty approaches the whole thing in a similar fashion to Jasilyn except the musical is more of a three act play and Misty is of course the star of each act. The boys and I are the audience. Jasilyn has her own musical on her own stage.

The night ended with the tree decorated and beautiful and Jasilyn asked each of us what we were thankful for. It was a great day.

No comments: